The United Nations (UN) says it will look into reports that the Government has banned public events being held in the North to commemorate those killed during the final stages of the war in Sri Lanka.
When asked at the daily press briefing yesterday about the ban, UN spokesman Stéphane Dujarric said he had not seen those reports but will look into it.
Army spokesman Brigadier Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya had earlier said that public events to commemorate the LTTE killed in the final battle of the decades-long separatist war were barred as the organisation remained outlawed.
“Individuals may have religious services to commemorate their loved ones killed in the fighting, but there cannot be any public events,” Wanigasooriya told AFP.
“Display of LTTE flags or insignia will also not be allowed,” he added.
Government forces killed Tiger supremo Prabhakaran on May 18, 2009 and declared an end to 37 years of armed conflict, which the UN estimates claimed at least 100,000 lives.
Rights groups have said that up to 40,000 civilians perished in the final months of fighting alone in the island’s northern coastal district of Mullaittivu where the rebels put up a final stand. (Colombo Gazette)