Sinhala copy of ”No Fire Zone” will NOT be shown in Sri Lanka!


BY SANJAYA DASSANAYAKE & SULOCHANA RAMIAH MOHAN

Producer of Channel-4 television station, Callum Macrae has shouted at the President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena opposite the British Prime Minister’s official residence, asking him to exhibit the film No Fire Zone produced by him, in Sri Lanka.

This request had been made by Callum Macrae when President Sirisena, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera and the Sri Lankan delegation were leaving No. 10 Downing Street subsequent to having participated in a special discussion with British Prime Minister David Cameron.

It is said that Callum Macrae who had requested that the Sinhala copy of his film No Fire Zone be shown in Sri Lanka, had been prevented from approaching President Sirisena by British Security Forces.
During the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting held in Sri Lanka too, the Channel- 4 Television Team which had arrived in Sri Lanka had attempted to speak to former President Mahinda Rajapaksa in front of a five-star hotel, but that attempt too had proved to be unsuccessful.

SR_GraphicSriLanka__MED
Information received from the Parliament of England said that, the Sinhala documentary No Fire Zone is due to be shown at the House of Commons, the British Parliament premises. Apparently, Macrae has invited several British Members of Parliament to the inaugural function of exhibiting the film.

When contacted, Chanel 4 Director CallumMacrae told Ceylon Today that he offered the Sinhala version of the No Fire Zone to PreisdentSirisenabut he declined to take it.

Callum had also called on President Sirisena later on to make sure that the website showing the film was not blocked. “I also called Sri Lankan television networks to run the film and that I will happily come to Sri Lanka to take part in a live studio debate afterwards,” Callum said.

“What did happen was that I was at Number 10 with Jonathan Miller from Channel 4 News when President Sirisenavisited Premier DavidCameron. I offered a copy of the Sinhala version of No Fire Zone (which we’d launched on Tuesday (10) morning) to the President, but he declined to take it. Jonathan also called out to him and the Foreign Minister MangalaSamaraweera to ask them: “The UN has given you six months to start taking steps to ensure accountability. What are you going to do so? Can we just talk?” But Minister Samaraweera said they had no time to talk.

Macrae said the Sinhala version of his documentary was very successful – with a lot of coverage. “The film has already been viewed or downloaded through our website nearly 19,000 times,” he claimed.

I was interviewed at some length on Today, the BBC’s flagship radio news programme (the highest rating radio show in Britain) – as well as the BBC world services flagship news programme.  He also went on to say that there are some very good journalists in Sri Lanka!

“Noone in Sri Lanka has anything to fear from the truth except the guilty. Indeed the truth is the essential first step in a process which can lead to justice and then reconciliation and political solutions. The problem is that throughout the war the Sinhalese people were denied the truth about what happened. But I believe that the vast majority of Sinhalese people – just like the vast majority of all communities in Sri Lanka – want nothing more than to live in their beautiful country in peace and freedom.For that to happen Sri Lanka has to know and confront the truth, find justice and move forward to political solutions which ensure peace and democracy for the all people of the island. I hope that the release of this film in Sinhala will help start a national conversation which will make that future possible,” he said.

When contacted, Chanel 4 Director CallumMacrae told Ceylon Today that he offered the Sinhala version of the No Fire Zone to PreisdentSirisenabut he declined to take it.

Callum had also called on President Sirisena later on to make sure that the website showing the film was not blocked. “I also called Sri Lankan television networks to run the film and that I will happily come to Sri Lanka to take part in a live studio debate afterwards,” Callum said.

“What did happen was that I was at Number 10 with Jonathan Miller from Channel 4 News when President Sirisenavisited Premier DavidCameron. I offered a copy of the Sinhala version of No Fire Zone (which we’d launched on Tuesday (10) morning) to the President, but he declined to take it. Jonathan also called out to him and the Foreign Minister MangalaSamaraweera to ask them: “The UN has given you six months to start taking steps to ensure accountability. What are you going to do so? Can we just talk?” But Minister Samaraweera said they had no time to talk.

Macrae said the Sinhala version of his documentary was very successful – with a lot of coverage. “The film has already been viewed or downloaded through our website nearly 19,000 times,” he claimed.

I was interviewed at some length on Today, the BBC’s flagship radio news programme (the highest rating radio show in Britain) – as well as the BBC world services flagship news programme.  He also went on to say that there are some very good journalists in Sri Lanka!

“Noone in Sri Lanka has anything to fear from the truth except the guilty. Indeed the truth is the essential first step in a process which can lead to justice and then reconciliation and political solutions. The problem is that throughout the war the Sinhalese people were denied the truth about what happened. But I believe that the vast majority of Sinhalese people – just like the vast majority of all communities in Sri Lanka – want nothing more than to live in their beautiful country in peace and freedom.For that to happen Sri Lanka has to know and confront the truth, find justice and move forward to political solutions which ensure peace and democracy for the all people of the island. I hope that the release of this film in Sinhala will help start a national conversation which will make that future possible,” he said.

Sri Lanka ‘war crimes’ soldiers ordered to ‘finish the job’

Witnesses have told Channel 4 they were ordered to 'finish the job' by whatever means necessary.
Jonathan Millerby

Exclusive: two Sri Lankans who witnessed the violent final showdown of the country’s 26-year civil war claim a top military commander and Sri Lanka’s defence secretary ordered war crimes.

Fresh footage reveals new evidence of Sri Lanka executions

Fresh footage reveals new evidence of Sri Lanka executions
by

New video evidence of the alleged executions of bound prisoners in Sri Lanka has emerged and is to be broadcast in full in a documentary, as pressure builds for an international investigation.

Sri Lanka ‘war crimes’ video: woman’s body identified

New information on the Sri Lanka war crimes video: victim could be Isaipriya
by

Channel 4 News can name a woman journalist as one of the victims in the Sri Lanka execution video along with damning new details of the date and location where the video was filmed.