The Attorney General yesterday told the Supreme Court that Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pillayan, the former Chief Minister of the Eastern Province, had been indicted in the High Court of Batticaloa, for the murder of Joseph Pararajasinghem, TNA member of Parliament for Batticaloa District. The murder was committed on or about Dec. 5, 2005. There are seven accused in the indictment. Pillayan is the seventh. The trial has been fixed for Nov. 6, 7 and 17.
The Tamil politicians, Journalists who expose corruption of the government MP’s, Human rights activists were killed by Para military group run by the Mahinda government. Pillayan, Karuna and others who opposed LTTE were used to do the dirty work by the Mahinda government. In addition to LTTE opposers Some of the Para Military members were from the government forces who supplied arms and ammunitions to them and were using White Vans to abduct and kill in open while the police and army were ordered to help them by the Mahinda’s defence ministry run by his brother Gotha who is accused of masterminding the abductions and killings at that time.
Senior State Counsel Sudharshana de Silva appeared for the Attorney General. The aforesaid information was provided to the Supreme Court when the fundamental rights violation petition, filed by Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pillayan, was called before the Supreme Court yesterday.
Counsel Sanjeewa Jayawardena, PC., who appeared for Pillayan told the court that his client had been in remand custody for 746 days. The petitioner has complained of arbitrary treatment and illegal detention by the CID and the police.
All politicians are given a special treatment in Sri Lanka prisons. Under Mahinda regime the politicians who supported Mahinda were untouchable by the police and they were free to do whatever they want to do. Interestingly all leading politicians close to Mahinda will fall ill once they are arrested for questioning and they are officially taken to hospital where they get a five star treatment until their questioning is over, this concession is not given to ordinary people.
The Supreme Court said the fundamental rights petition might be called again on March 20, 2018 after the High Court deals with the trial.
The bench comprised Justice Sisira De Abrew, Justice Priyantha Jayawardena and Justice Vijith K. Malalgoda.