4 Jun 2014 – Unfortunately Lord Naseby has failed to be accurate in his recent attack on Channel 4’s harrowing documentaries: Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields, …
3 Jun 2014 – He went on to detail Naseby’s allegations in the British parliament, … “Lord Naseby has given misleading testimony to the House of Lords, and …
The British parliament was told, on Oct 12, 2017 that Velupillai Prabhakaran killed Jaffna … Baron Naseby referred to the Chola invasion of Sri Lanka and the … “My noble friends Lord Naseby and Lord Sheikh talked about the numbers killed.
27 Feb 2014 – UK Conservative party member Lord Nazabi says that those who appeared … LordNazabi stated this yesterday during a debate on Sri Lanka held in … said that the contents of Channel-4 documentaries mislead the viewers.
By Usha S Sri-Skanda-Rajah – Usha S Sri-Skanda-Rajah Sri Lanka War Crimes … Sri Lanka’s closest supporter, Lord Naseby stated at the UK– House of Lords on the … As to Lord Naseby’s allegation that Channel 4 had mislead the viewers by …
Cabinet spokesman provoked by query on govt response to Naseby move War crimes
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Cabinet spokesman and Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera yesterday said that a statement made by Lord Naseby in House of Lords would be used by the government appropriately at the right time, though the cabinet was yet to discuss it.
Jayasekera said that they wouldn’t take up issues pursued by The Island the way the newspaper wanted. It had not been taken up by the Cabinet on the basis it wasn’t considered so grave a matter, the minister said. The minister initially asserted that Lord Naseby’s statement wasn’t directly relevant to the Geneva issue.
The SLFPer said so when The Island asked him whether the Cabinet of ministers had discussed Lord Naseby’s defence of the previous administration as well as the armed forces on Oct 12 pertaining to war crimes allegations before it was taken up in parliament on Nov 14.
The Island also sought their stand on President Maithripala Sirisena’s admission on Nov 9 that some retired and serving army officers had been refused visas by some countries.
Having faulted The Island for raising a question on the same lines, the Minister alleged that his comments in respect of the Geneva issue two weeks back at the post cabinet media briefing hadn’t been properly reported by The Island. Jayasekera also said that The Island was there only to raise the Geneva issue.
The Island rejected the Minister’s accusations and pointed out that the government’s opinion on Naseby’s statement was sought as the British Lord had said that maximum 7,000-8,000 died on the Vanni front not 40,000 as alleged by a UN panel and Sri Lanka never purposely targeted civilian population. Lord Naseby also pointed out that of them, one fourth were LTTE cadres.
Minister Gayantha Karunatilleke and Military Spokesman Maj. Gen. Roshan Seneviratne refrained from commenting on the issue.
Minister Jayasekera said they really appreciated the Naseby’s defence and it was a victory for Sri Lanka.