* About 200 Youths From “”Diga Kalliya” (Group of Diga)Unleashed Violence(Diga derived from Digamadulla)
* Sinhala Hardliner Ex-MP Had Meetings With youths and Police officials in Amparai Before Violence
* Mosque and Office, 3 Eateries,1 Grocery Store, 8 Vehicles Damaged in Night of Terror in Amparai Town
* 35 Persons From Mob Identified;5 Surrender;6 Arrested &4 Remanded;Police File Six Cases
* Crowd Numbering 2000 Including 200 Bhikkus Gather At Courts To Protest Legal Action
* Ampara Muslims Pressured to Refrain From Legal Action if they Want to Continue Living There Peacefully
* Alleged “infertility Pills” In “New Cassim Hotel” Beef Gravy Found To Be Lumps of Flour By Govt Analyst
Sri Lanka struggling for long to recover from the debilitating effects of a protracted civil war and progress resolutely along the road to economic prosperity suffered a tremendous set back in the last days of February and early days of March with the outbreak of organized anti-Muslim violence. Ethno-religious neo-fascist elements formed themselves into mobs and unleashed a terrible spree of violent attacks targeting Mosques, Muslim owned busineses ,shops, houses and vehicles in Amparai town and different parts of Kandy district.
The anti-Muslim violence erupted first in Amparai town on Feb 26th/27th night and was followed by attacks in Digana,Kandy on March 4th .Thereafter it spread to other areas in Kandy district like Teldeniya,Pallekalle,Katugastota and Akurana etc. The damage in Amparai is very much less when compared to the destruction in Kandy. In Amparai one mosque and adjacent structures , Three Muslim owned eateries, one grocery store and eight vehicles were attacked and damaged. A few Muslim dwellings were stoned but no families were harmed as most had taken shelter in neighbouring homes or fled to shrub jungle areas. All this happened within a few hours on one night in Amparai. In Kandy the situation was different.
Continue reading ‘“Wanda Pethi”, “Digakalliya”and the Anti-Muslim Violence In Amparai Town’ »