By Chamara Amarasooriya
Steps have been taken to tighten security across the country today (13), according to an unconfirmed information circulating in society, that there would be a possible terrorist attack in Colombo, Police Media Spokesman, SP Ruwan Gunasekara said yesterday (12).
According to the information, the National Towheed Jama’at (NTJ) which is believed to be responsible for the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks, has planned a series of terror strikes in Nawala, Wellawatta, Panchikawatta and the Fort Railway Station between 9:00 a.m and 1:00 p.m today (13).
Gunasekara, addressing the Media, said that the information has not been verified by both, the security and intelligence forces.
“But, we do not simply put away any information like this. We will check the credibility of such information and provide necessary security to the people as well,” he added.
Meanwhile, another senior Police Officer said that extra security would be provided to schools, State institutions and public places today (13).
“We will continue the security measures as for as long as neded,” he said.
This information came to light when an internal letter, which had been directed to senior Police Officers, by the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of the Crimes and the Organised Crimes Prevention Division (OCPD), began to circulate in social media.
The Police have launched an investigation to find out about that.