By Amila Abeyratna
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) yesterday (12) informed Colombo Fort Acting Magistrate Jayantha Nanayakkara, that the suicide bombers who were involved in the Easter Sunday terror attacks in April had been taking part in National Thowheed Jama’ath (NTJ) activities since 2014.
The CID told Court that these suicide cadres of the NTJ had also taken part in weapons training camps held in Nuwara Eliya.
They made these submissions when the case in connection with the Easter Sunday blast at the Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo was taken for hearing.
The CID informed the Court that the suicide cadres had worked with the NTJ members in areas such as Enderamulla and Nindavur.
They further told the Court that upon the inspection of a house situated in Jayanthi Avenue in Kolonnawa, where the Kingsbury bomber, Mohammad Mubarak, had last resided, they had come across several documents.
The CID told the Court that among those documents had been an application for the commencement of an Arabic school in Kottawapitiya in Hettipola.
They said, they had also grilled a person known as Mohammad Safeek who has been mentioned as the Secretary in the application form. The CID sought a date from the Court to summon relatives of Mohammad Mubarak along with other witnesses to seek their evidence upon the completion of the post-mortem on Mubarak.
They also sought a fresh date from the Court to submit a progress report on the case and Acting Magistrate Nanayakkara ordered the case to be next taken up for hearing on 10 July.