- Pompeo labels Chinese Communist Party a predator, says US stands for a democratic, peaceful, prosperous and fully sovereign Sri Lanka
- Says bad deals, violations of sovereignty and lawlessness on land and sea, show CCP is a predator
- In contrast, says US comes as friend and partner
- Asserts strong, sovereign Sri Lanka is a powerful and strategic partner for US
- Says American companies like Coke, Oracle and IBM operating here are most reliable partners on the planet
- Says good governance, transparency in policy consistency will attract even more American investment
- Notes that State Dept. has offered substantial counterterrorism assistance to help Sri Lankans bring perpetrators of Easter attacks to justice
- Discloses Army Commander’s travel ban to US under review
By Chandani Kirinde
Visiting US Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo sought to draw a contrast between what China seeks in Sri Lanka as opposed to the manner in which the US operates and controversially labelled the Chinese Communist Party a “predator”.
At a joint press event Pompeo addressed with Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena at the end of his brief visit to the country, the senior US official also said a strong, sovereign Sri Lanka is a powerful and strategic partner for the US on the world stage and it can be a beacon for a free and open Indo-Pacific.