Chennai: Violence broke out in several parts of Tamil Nadu on Saturday after Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was convicted in a graft case with angry AIADMK supporters indulging in stone pelting and arson and forcing closure of shops.
Tension prevailed as protesters burnt effigies of DMK President M Karunanidhi, his sons MK Stalin and MK Alagiri and tore party posters in various places including in Chennai and Madurai.
While some protesters pelted stones at the residence of BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, DMK and AIADMK supporters clashed at Gopalapuram.
A state-owned transport corporation bus was set on fire at Veppur village and some 20 buses damaged in stone-pelting in Cuddalore district, police said.
Stone pelting incidents were reported in Ambattur here, Edapadi in Salem district, Cuddalore and in Srirangam, Jayalalithaa’s assembly constituency, police said.
Shops and commercial establishments downed shutters in various parts of the state.
Protesters also damaged two-wheelers parked alongside roads in Madurai, they said.
In Chennai, effigies of DMK leaders were burnt in Poes Garden area.
In Madurai, AIADMK men blocked traffic and asked the shops and business houses to close their units.
Police said some shops were ransacked and stones pelted in Tiruchirapalli and Dindigul.
Security personnel in large numbers have been posted to maintain law and order, police said.
- TN CM Jayalalithaa jailed for 4 years, fined Rs 100 crore in disproportionate assets case18 minutes ago
- Kerala suspends buses to Tamil Nadu fearing protests after Jayalalithaa conviction1 hour 4 minutes ago
- Violence erupts across Tamil Nadu after Jaya’s conviction1 hour 14 minutes ago
- Timeline: Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa convicted in disproportionate assets case2 hours 13 minutes ago
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa found guilty in corruption case, has to quit 3 hours 6 minutes ago
- Live: TN CM Jayalalithaa sentenced to 4-year jail term in disproportionate assets case 4 hours 4 minutes ago
- Tamil Nadu awaits judgement against Jayalalithaa in DA case 4 hours 16 minutes ago