By Mirudhula Thambiah
President Maithripala Sirisena has assured the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) that he will appoint two separate committees to look into the land acquisition and militarization in the Northern Province and to find suitable political solution for the national question.
Speaking to Ceylon Today, TNA Parliamentarian M. A. Sumanthiran said the committee will include the Defence Secretary, Army Commander and other officials.
We spoke with him regarding FIVE important, burning issues of the people in the North and East.
- We prioritized land acquisitioned and occupied by the military, where our people are unable to resettle. They have constructed hotels in private lands,” he said. He added that it was clearly mentioned that the TNA has no objections in having military camps in any part of the country for national security, but occupation of private lands is not acceptable thus, they must be released to the people.
“The President accepted our claim about land issues and said that land occupation is not only in the North and East but around the country. He said people should be sent back to their own private lands after discussing the issue through a committee.” he said.
- The TNA had also urged for the immediate release of political prisoners.
- Northern Provincial Council should function independently
- Governors and District Secretariats of North and East should be changed.
“The President said he will consult with the TNA before appointing new Governors and District Secretaries,” he said.
- The TNA stressed that people should be protected from harmful politicians and ministers in the North and East.
When asked whether the TNA would represent the national government, Sumanthiran said, they will NOT join at this stage, but if the government proceeds on the right path they may consider.