Speaking to the media after he visited the Bandaranaike Memorial Monument in Horagolla today, Sirisena said that some people had asked him why more Government Ministers and Parliamentarians did not join the opposition as expected in Parliament yesterday.
He said that his response was that more can be expected over the next few weeks.
There was strong speculation that several Government parliamentarians will join the opposition yesterday before the final vote on the budget.
However no one joined the opposition and the budget was also passed by a majority vote with 152 members of Parliament voting for and 57 against it.
Meanwhile UNP MP Wijeydasa Rajapaksa said that the Uva Provincial Council is expected to be to toppled soon with some Government members in the council showing interest in backing the opposition.
He said that at least two other Provincial Councils are also expected to be toppled before the Presidential elections next year.(Colombo Gazette)
- UN rapporteur accuses BBS in reportNovember 25, 2014 – 21:38
- Local council members change sidesNovember 25, 2014 – 18:54
- Elections chief will not invite the UNNovember 25, 2014 – 13:16
- British TV wins big at Emmy AwardsNovember 25, 2014 – 12:52
- Envoy ‘Concept 2015’ by Fouzul HameedNovember 25, 2014 – 12:44
- Karunanidhi wants debate on LankaNovember 25, 2014 – 09:07