Anti Tamil parliamentarians were on the front row and it was clear they were trying to gain the Sinhala Buddhists votes. Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa who is accused of War Crime was visibly seen mingling with the crowd at the “Arise with Mahinda” rally held at Sanath Jayasuriya Ground in Matara.
In a message read out at yesterday’s mammoth rally held by UPFA rebels at the Sanath Jayasuriya grounds in Matara the former President said that he would surely be on the rebel s’ platform a the next rally. The former President’s message was read by former Minister and SLFP Vice President Dullas Alahapperuma.
Rajapaksa said in his message
- He alleged that out of 159 army camps in the Jaffna peninsula 59 had been removed by Maithiri gov.
- Now, the government was in the process of releasing some LTTE cadres in custody at present.
- Rajapaksa said the present government’s pro-Ealam foreign policy would have to be defeated or the country would be in danger.
- His government had defeated the LTTE in 2009, but the present government was paving the way for its revival.
- All development projects including the Matara-Beliatte stretch of the Southern Expressway, the Matara-Kataragama railway, the Matara new town, the Northern Expressway, the Uma Oya Project, the Colombo Port city project had been stopped.
- China and Russia had helped Sri Lanka defeat the LTTE, but the present government had stopped all Chinese-funded projects.
Addressing the gathering parliamentarian Vinayagamoorthi Muralydharan went on to say, Former president Mahinda Rajapaksa established peace in this country and also lead country towards development path. Mahinda Rajapaksa opened roads for Ranil and Maithiri to visit Jaffna. He granted may assistance to Tamils and Muslims residing in the Northern Province. Let’s all cast our votes to Mahinda Rajapaksa.
He did not talk about the killing of more than 40,000 Tamil Civilians in May 2009 alone by the Sri Lankan Army under Mahinda Rajapaksha, or refusing to implement the promised 13th amendment he promised before killing thousand of Tamil Civilians and more than 1000 LTTE Leaders who surrendered with White flag after UN negotiated the surrender.
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa attended a rally in Matara organised by his supports to mobilise support for his contest in the upcoming parliamentary election as a prime ministerial candidate of the United People’s Freedom Alliance .