Gota’s revelation energises FSP

By Saman Indrajith

The Frontline Socialist Party yesterday made a request to the police headquarters to resume investigations into the complaint they had lodged three years back with regard to the abduction of their leader Kumar Gunaratnam.

Party’s Propaganda Secretary Pubudu Jayagoda told The Island that three top level members of their party had visited the Police Headquarters and asked the police to resume investigations as there was new evidence in respect of Gunaratnam’s abduction.

Jayagoda said: “When Comrade Gunaratnam was abducted on April 07, 2012 our party members lodged three complaints with Piliyandala, Kottawa and Kiribathgoda police stations. Thereafter, we lodged another complaint at the Police headquarters. Following the release of Comrade Gunaratnam by his captors we visited the Police headquarters again on April  12, 2012 and inquired about the progress in the investigations. The police told us that they knew Gunaratnam had been abducted and released but there was no clear idea about the abductors. The police said that they had suspended the investigations since there were no details of the abductors.”

Jayagoda said that former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa had, in an interview published in a Sinhala newspaper and on a website, revealed that the abduction was carried out with the help of information received from incumbent JVP leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake. “Now the entire country knows who abducted Comrade Gunaratnam. So, we ask the police to commence investigations.”

526191_10150796768541218_1647517851_nFSP Central Committee members Chameera Koswatte, Duminda Nagamuwa and Attorney-at-Law Nuwan Bopage visited the police headquarters yesterday. Nagamuwa said they had lodged a fresh complaint with the IGP, referring to their previous complaints which had not been investigated. “The police accepted our complaint but did not say anything further,” Nagamuwa said.

Gunaratnam is currently in remand for violating immigration laws and his case is scheduled to be taken up again on Nov. 18 at the Kegalle Magistrate’s Court. He was arrested at his ancestral house in Kegalle by police last week (Nov 4). Gunaratnam arrived in Sri Lanka on Jan. 01, this year using an Australian Passport (N 1016123) bearing the name, Noel Mudalige. He had been granted a visa till January 30, 2015 but did not leave the country on its expiration claiming that he has citizenry rights.

Related posts