Cressida Dick also asks people to go about their daily business as normal because London remains one of world’s safest cities
The Met police commissioner has urged Londoners to remain vigilant a week after the terror attack that left eight people dead and dozens injured.
Cressida Dick’s call came as police lifted the remaining cordon in Borough that had been in place since last Saturday night.
She told residents and visitors that London remained one of the world’s safest cities.
“You will be seeing police, armed and unarmed, in areas where there are crowds and around the streets of London, possibly at a higher level than you have done before,” Dick said. “You should feel reassured by that, but please don’t give in to terrorists and let’s go about our daily business.”
The Met chief added: “We, in this city, have experienced terrorism for as long as I’ve been alive and we have always been able to step up and deal with a new threat and that’s what we’re going to do here.”
Dick urged people to alert police if they saw something suspicious, if someone they knew started to “behave strangely”, or if they had concerns about someone hiring a vehicle.
Borough Market is expected to reopen next week, she added. “The rest of us Londoners want to support those people who have been affected, including those who run the market.”
The market said it had been flooded with messages of support and has posted a list of ways that people can support its traders.
They include donating to the trader support fund, visiting other markets across the capital where some traders also have stalls, buying goods from their websites and supporting the Red Cross Saturday Night for London campaign.
Participating restaurants will be donating money from a chosen dish, hundreds of cafes, bars and pubs will be holding collections and Uber will donate £1 for every trip taken in London between 8pm and midnight on Saturday.
Funds will go to the charity’s UK Solidarity Fund, which was launched in response to the Manchester Arena and London Bridge attacks.
Southwark council said on Saturday that all residents would now be able to return to their homes after police left the crime scene.
Eleanor Kelly, chief executive of the council, said: “We understand that the cordons have had a massive impact on local residents and businesses and would like to thank those individuals for their patience, goodwill and hospitality.”
Security staff from the market will help residents access the closed areas, which can be entered via the Stoney Street junction with Borough High Street.
Southwark cathedral will reopen on Sunday and a book of condolence will be available to sign.
A community assistance centre has also been set up at the cathedral.