Mahinda Rajapakshes new party Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) today urged the public to blame Speaker Karu Jayasuriya and not SLPP Parliamentarians for the disgraceful incidents witnessed in Parliament over the past few days.
Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) member and United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) Parliamentarian Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said that the public outrage at the events which took place in Parliament over the past few days should be directed at the Speaker and not them for
- Throwing water bottles, a wastepaper basket and a copy of the Constitution at Speaker Jayasuriya
- Occupying the Speaker’s podium with the portly Arundika Fernando brazenly sitting on the Speakers High Chair.
- Johnston Fernando, of the UPFA grabbing the chair and others with him then proceeded to use the chair, and parts of it, to attack the police officers.
- UPFA MPs who attacked the Police cordon surrounding the Speaker
- UPFA MP Prasanna Ranaweera for slapping a Policeman and throwing Chili powder mixed water.
He told reporters today that the actions of the Speaker resulted in the unaccepted behaviour of Mahindas supporting MPs which took place in Parliament over the past few days.
Abeywardena also said that similar incidents were seen in the Japanese Parliament as well where MPs had clashed (so there was nothing wrong in his party which supports Mahinda Throwing water bottles, a wastepaper basket and a copy of the Constitution at Speaker and beating up the policemen.
Mahinda Government will carry out a public awareness campaign against the Speaker and justify their unacceptable behaviour in parliament which took place with the blessing of Mahinda .