LTTE is the scapegoat for Sinhala Government

By Sulochana Ramiah Mohan

Ajanthan Kathirgamathambi Rasakumaran (41), who was taken into custody by the CID over the pre-dawn double murder of two Police Constables on 30 November 2018 at the Vavunathivu Police post, was released following a confession made by Zahran Hashim – the Islamic extremist ring leader’s driver Mohamed Sharif Adam Lebbe alias Gaffoor (53). Gaffoor admitted that it was they who were behind the two murders.

Police Media Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said yesterday, the CID detained Ajanthan on suspicion. However, when the CID arrested several persons recently following the Easter Sunday bomb blasts, they found the two official revolvers used by the two Police Constables.

SP Gunasekara noted that one of the suspects was Zahran’s driver, Gaffoor.
He added that following a confession made by Gaffoor, Ajanthan was released. He was produced before the Batticaloa Magistrate prior to his release.

Ajanthan, who walked to freedom yesterday at about 1.30 p.m. after being in custody for five months and 10 days, under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) told Ceylon Today, that during questioning he and several others who were taken into custody repeatedly told Police Officers to probe the other community that fell foul of the law in the Eastern Province. “There were men who were stealing cattle owned by other people for slaughtering. As suspects we told them to check that community if they were up to any mischief but they ignored and only focused on us,” Ajanthan said.

Ajanthan met Zahran’s driver Gaffoor at the Police Station when he was brought in following his arrest and asked him why they made him to face the punishment.

“I asked the driver why they had to do this to me.” Zahran’s driver responded saying, “I never thought you will be arrested for the crime we committed.” Gaffoor confessed that they had only gone to steal the weapons from the constables but ended up murdering the two constables.

The murder of the two constables at the Vavunathivu police Post is said to be the first murders carried out by the Islamic extremists in Sri Lanka.
Suspect Gaffoor was handed over to the CID on April 28 for further questioning. The Police earlier noted that Zahran’s driver and a few others who had entered the police post had stabbed the two constables several times and also slit their throats. Police recovered a revolver in Nintavur that had been allegedly stolen by the Islamic extremist group from one of the policemen.
Another revolver used by the second constable was found in a safe house in Vanathavilluwa.
Meanwhile, Ajanthan who is a social worker was also an ex LTTE cadre. He was engaged in fishing and other menial jobs in Karaiyaakanthivu in Kannankudah, Batticaloa.
He is a father of five. His wife has held several protests urging officials to release her husband as he was innocent.
Battitcaloa Police Officials dropped Ajanthan at his home following his release.
Acting Magistrate of Batticaloa ordered Ajanthan to appear in court on Monday 13, for formal legal procedures regarding the release.

Related posts