Newcastle caretaker manager Graeme Jones says he has been asked to take charge of the team for the club’s next two matches.
Jones took over first-team duties after Steve Bruce was sacked by the club after Sunday’s 3-2 defeat to Tottenham.
Jones will be in the dugout for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace and will remain in charge for the home game against Chelsea on October 30 while the club continues its search for a permanent head coach.
Jones said: “I spoke to the owners on Wednesday morning and they have asked me to take the team on an interim basis for the next two games, so Crystal Palace and Chelsea at home.
“As I’ve said previously, I am fully focussed on preparing the team the best we can to be competitive in those two games.”
Newcastle’s new owners held talks with former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca on Wednesday but no further discussions have taken place since then.
As it stands, there is no offer on the table for Fonseca, who was linked with Tottenham earlier this summer prior to the appointment of Nuno Espirito Santo.
Fonseca remains a contender for the vacant head coach role at Newcastle but the club are still exploring other candidates.
More to follow….
This is a breaking Newcastle news story that is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh this page for the latest updates.
Sky Sports brings you live updates as they happen. Get breaking sports news, analysis, exclusive interviews, replays and highlights.
Sky Sports is your trusted source for breaking sports news headlines and live updates. Watch live coverage of your favourite sports: Football, F1, Boxing, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, NFL, Darts, Netball and get the latest transfers news, results, scores and more.
Visit skysports.com or the Sky Sports App for all the breaking sports news headlines. You can receive push notifications from the Sky Sports app for the latest news from your favourite sports and you can also follow @SkySportsNews on Twitter to get the latest updates.