- Recommends setting up of interim Govt. for maximum of six months
- New PM to be elected from Parliament to function as head of Govt.
- Interim Govt. to bring constitutional amendments to abolish Executive Presidency
- Proposes setting up of 101-member Council of State for National Policy
- Says proposal offers middle ground between public and concerns of politicians
|Former President Chandrika Kumaratunga|
Former President Chandrika Kumaratunga has mooted a proposal for the setting up of an interim Government for a maximum six months with the Prime Minister as Head of Government elected from among the Members of Parliament as a way to overcome the current political impasse in the country.
The proposal was made public by Kumaratunga in a letter saying: “We cannot disregard our responsibility to actively join together to seek solutions and bring the country back to normalcy as early as possible.”