Fitch Ratings has placed the National Long-Term Ratings of 12 Sri Lankan non-bank financial institutions (NBFIs) on Rating Watch Negative (RWN).
The entities are:
Finance and Leasing Companies:
- Bimputh Finance PLC (Bimputh)
- CBC Finance LTD (CBCF)
- Central Finance Company PLC (CF)
- Fintrex Finance Limited (Fintrex)
- HNB Finance PLC (HNBF)
- LB Finance PLC (LB)
- Mercantile Investments and Finance PLC (MIF)
- People’s Leasing & Finance PLC (PLC)
- Sarvodaya Development Finance Limited (SDF)
- Senkadagala Finance PLC (Senka)
- Siyapatha Finance PLC (Siyapatha)
- Asia Securities (Pvt) Ltd (ASPL)
The RWN reflects heightened downside risks to the NBFIs’ credit profiles amid increased economic and financial-market volatility in Sri Lanka.
Fitch said this risk is exacerbated by the deteriorating sovereign credit profile (Long-Term Foreign-Currency Issuer Default Rating (IDR): C, Long-Term Local-Currency IDR: CCC) and the ensuing risks to the stability of the financial system.
Fitch Ratings said the non-bank financial institutions’ credit profiles are being pressured by Sri Lanka’s challenging operating environment, with significant near- to medium-term downside risk presented by the weakening sovereign credit profile.
It said this could further impair the economy and weigh on financial market performance, raising downside risks to institutions’ asset quality and earnings.