The US Embassy in Sri Lanka has issued a “demonstration alert” ahead of the May Day rallies to be held in Colombo.
The Embassy said that several demonstrations and marches are planned in and around Colombo on Sunday, May 1, 2022, to protest the economic situation in the country.
“The demonstrations are likely to make travel to/from/within Colombo more difficult and cause road closures and traffic congestion throughout the day,” the Embassy said.
The US Embassy is aware of the following demonstrations, but there are additional protests planned throughout Sri Lanka:
- A demonstration at Lalith Athulathmudali Grounds (Colombo 06) at 1:00 p.m. with approximately 10,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Victoria Park (Colombo 07) at 9:30 a.m. with approximately 5,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Hyde Park (Colombo 02) at 2:00 p.m. with approximately 3,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Stanley Jansz Grounds (Colombo 02) at 2:00 p.m. with approximately 2,000 participants.
- A march beginning at the Upcountry Plantation Sector Trade Union office in Kollupitiya marching towards Kollupitiya Junction (Colombo 03) (time to be determined) with 1,000 participants.
- A march that began in Kandy on April 26 will rally on Sunday, May 1 at 3:00 p.m. at Campbell Park (Colombo 08) with approximately 15,000 participants.
The Embassy warned that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.
US Government personnel have been advised to avoid the protests. (Colombo Gazette)