By Dinitha Rathnayake
Releasing a statement yesterday (15), the Ministry of Defence (MOD) stated that The Hindu newspaper, citing Indian Intelligence sources, had published a report on 13 May 2022 pertaining to an attack being launched on Sri Lanka on 18 May by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), and assured that all relevant information received by the intelligence and security forces would be duly investigated, and all further steps taken to strengthen security.
Upon inquiring about the above report, the Indian Intelligence services had informed Sri Lanka that the alert had been raised as general information, and that investigations will be carried out and action will be taken to inform Sri Lanka in this regard, the Defence Ministry said in a press release.
According to the article published in The Hindu, intelligence agencies have warned of an erstwhile LTTE cadre that had entered Tamil Nadu to execute their sinister plans in Sri Lanka. Special teams of the State Intelligence and local Police, drawn from coastal districts, had mounted vigil along the 1,000-plus km coastline in the state. The Coastal Security Group of the Tamil Nadu police had enhanced the frequency of patrolling along the territorial waters, they said.
Last Saturday (14), the MOD denied reports of the ex-LTTE cadre “regrouping to launch attacks” in Sri Lanka, as reported by The Hindu.
“The article is completely baseless. We have received no intelligence warning of such a security threat,” a Ministry spokesman had told The Hindu.
The report was picked up by Sri Lankan media and widely shared on social media. Sri Lankan political leaders also took to Twitter to condemn the report.